Amoebiasis – Know The Causes, Symptoms and Treatments
Amoebiasis is a disease caused by the amoeba, namely Entamoeba histolytica. It is a free living commensal organism that affects the colon of the human large intestine. It is manifested by inflammation and intense pain in the intestine. Amoebiasis is a common disease in areas with poor sanitation and unsanitary living conditions. It is a contagious disease, which spreads through contaminated food and water.
Transmission is mainly via the faecal-oral or anal-oral route. The infection is spread by ingesting the parasite cyst present in the faeces. Dirty hands also contribute to the spread of infection.
Amoebiasis can be diagnosed by –
• A routine and cultural stool examination, which shows the presence of cysts.
• A blood test that shows an increase in WBC and ESR.
People with weakened immune systems due to chronic diseases, malnutrition and old age are more likely to suffer from amoebiasis.
Some common symptoms are:
• Intense abdominal pain and cramps.
• Loss of appetite and feeling nauseous.
• Extreme fatigue and weight loss.
• Flatulence and intestinal regurgitation.
• Pain during bowel movements, bloody stools often leading to dehydration.
Although the most common treatment is antibiotic treatment, herbal home remedies can be practiced which offer considerable relief. They are –
• Consumption of black tea without sugar or milk.
• Intake of a few teaspoons of papaya seeds every week.
• Mix equal amounts of drumstick juice and sesame oil and heat until the extra water evaporates. Then cool the mixture and store it in a clean container. Drink 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture every day for three weeks.
• Make a paste of a few guava leaves with the required amount of water and consume two or three times a day.
Finally, it is rightly said “prevention is better than cure”. The spread of amoebiasis can be prevented by –
• Maintain good personal hygiene by washing your hands thoroughly with disinfectants and warm water.
• Use clean bathrooms and toilets.
• Drinking water should be boiled or treated with iodine tablets.
• Avoid sharing towels or facial cleansers.
• Raw vegetables should be washed thoroughly before eating.
• Avoid eating uncovered street foods.
It is extremely important to understand your health care needs and work accordingly without procrastination.
Understand the symptoms and help you recover from this disease. Also, don’t forget to share the information with your loved ones. It could be of great help to them.
Adopt a hygienic life and prevent such diseases from occurring in the future.